Phase One Photography Workshops
Digital Transitions Exclusive Workshop with Richard Thompson Richard Thompson - The Art of Shooting Automobiles Richard Thompson is teaming up with DT to offer you an exclusive chance to
Digital Transitions Exclusive Workshop with Richard Thompson
Richard Thompson – The Art of Shooting Automobiles
Richard Thompson is teaming up with DT to offer you an exclusive chance to learn from the best in car photography! DT staff members will be on set with the latest equipment form Phase One including the IQ4 150 mp digital back. We’ve also recruited digital technician, James Abke (en route media inc.), to make the shoot go as smoothly as possible and provide you with a real on-set experience!
Los Angeles-based photographer Richard Thompson III is one of the most sought-after automobile photographers working today. With a love of motorsports that extends back to childhood, his work in automotive photography has led him around the world to create campaigns and social libraries for some of the world’s most recognizable automotive brands including Bentley, BMW, Chevrolet, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Pagani Automobili, and Top Gear.
Class size is limited, so don’t wait to register!
Day 1 – Wednesday March 6
9:00 am – Meet at Digital Transitions LA office
- Pick up rentals
- Introductory presentation
11:00pm – Lunch
- Included with ticket purchase
12:00pm – Transportation to Shooting Location
- A high-end automobile will be on site ready for the demo when our team arrives to the shooting location
- Location will be provided to participants upon registration in order to maintain privacy at this exclusive workshop
- Transportation from DT to the shooting location (and back) will be provided
1:00pm – Demo and Shooting Time with Richard Thompson
- Get an inside look at Richard Thompson’s workflow
- Learn about best practices in high-end car photography
- Test out the latest in Phase One camera systems, including the IQ4 150mp digital back
5:00pm – End of Demo
- Transportation provided back to DT
- Return equipment
6:00 pm – End of Day 1
- Arrive at DT
Day 2 – Thursday March 7
9:00 am – Post Processing Demo
- Review files from day 1
- Step-by-step tutorial from raw file to final export
12:00 pm – End of Day 2
Frequently Asked Questions:
What should I bring?
Where will the demo take place?
Due to the limited seating, Digital Transitions DOES NOT offer refunds for this program.
6 (Wednesday) 9:00 am - 7 (Thursday) 12:00 pm
Claim your spot
Richard Thompson Workshop - One Seat Ticket
April 4 – 7 2019 | NYC New York City screams “URBAN” more than any other city core
April 4 – 7 2019 | NYC
New York City screams “URBAN” more than any other city core in North America. Whether it is an inner city streetscape, some of the tallest and most iconic buildings in the world, a compelling city scape, one of the world’s most urban parks, or the potential for street photography and building details, both modern and heritage that are unequalled, New York has it all!
In this workshop, Sharon will be teaching her Photoshop post processing techniques during hands on post processing sessions. Therefore, for optimal results, it is recommended that participants have basic knowledge of Layers, Masks and Selections in Photoshop.
**If you feel that you would like to learn basic Photoshop or just brush up on your skills, please consider registering to the Photoshop Add-On that will be taught on April 4th. It will provide all the background Photoshop knowledge you will need in order to get the maximum benefit from the workshop.
*Limited to 12 Participants For Maximum Personal Attention*
DAY 1: FRIDAY APRIL 5
Day 1 of the workshop will be divided between classroom sessions in the first half of the day to field shooting during the second half.
- Even though you will not need your computer for Day 1, you will need it for Day 2, so please bring it with you to leave in the classroom as we will be starting Day 2 from the field shooting.
- We will be heading out to shoot on Day 1 from the classroom, please bring your shooting gear with you in the morning.
9:00 – 10:00 – Introductions
10:00 – 11:00 – Classroom Session: ‘What is Fine Art?’
How did the concept of Art start (an historic overview), what differentiates an image as ‘Art’ as opposed to ordinary? And, how you can use these tools to create artistic photographs.
11:00 – 12:00 – Classroom Session: ‘Seeing Lines’
How to pre-visualize a scene into simple lines and shapes. How to implement your vision with Photoshop tools through lighting and gradients.
12:00 – 1:00pm – Lunch on your own
1:00 – 2:30 – Classroom Session: Long Exposure Photography
The principles of Long Exposure and how it relates to Architectural Photography as Fine Art. Post processing examples of combining multiple images to increase tonal range and content for artistic expression. (combining Long Exposure with Still Images).
2:30 – 3:00 – Architectural Abstract Photography as Fine Art
3:00 – 3:30 Shooting Instructions for Day 2
3:30 – 7:30 – Group Field Photography – Skyline from New Jersey
DAY 2: SATURDAY APRIL 6
During Day 2 of the workshop we will be learning post processing techniques. You are encouraged to bring a laptop so you can practice and implement post processing tools and skills.
6:00 – 1:00 – Sunrise Field Photography Brooklyn Bridge Park and Financial District (primarily World Trade One and Oculus)
We will spend the morning out photographing on location with ‘in-field’ guidance from Sharon. Please note that this morning will require some walking on the Brooklyn side.
1:00 – 2:30 – Classroom Session: Post Processing: Creating Reflections
(with hands on practice)
2:30 – 3:00 Break
3:00 – 4:30 – Classroom Session: Post Processing: Replacing Skies
(with hands on practice)
DAY 3: SUNDAY APRIL 7
Day 3 of the workshop will be spent entirely in the classroom. During this day, we will be continuing to learn more Photoshop techniques as well as going over student images (past portfolios or present ones taken during the workshop).
9:00 – 10:30 – Classroom Session: Post Processing: Mastering the Pen Tool
(with hands on practice)
10:30 – 5:00 – Classroom Session: Portfolio / Image Reviews
Image reviews while demonstrating post processing techniques.
5:00 – Dispersal and good-bye hugs
- If you desire an image review on Sunday, please bring 6 (or less) digital files on a memory stick.
- The images can be those recorded during the workshop, or you can submit completed works you would like Sharon to evaluate.
- Both original unedited RAW files and/or processed files are welcomed.
April 4th Photoshop Add-On
*Limited to 12 Participants For Maximum Personal Attention*
The perfect 6 hour workshop to introduce you to the fundamentals of Photoshop. By the time you start the Photography Workshop, you will be up to speed and will gain maximum benefit from the Post Processing techniques.
For more details on the photoshop add-on portion of this workshop click here.
4 (Thursday) 9:00 am - 7 (Sunday) 5:00 pm EST
35 West 35th St, 2nd floor
Join Cambo In the Netherlands Do you love your Cambo gear as much as we do? Ever wonder what kind of care and craftsmanship goes into the making of your favorite
Join Cambo In the Netherlands
Do you love your Cambo gear as much as we do? Ever wonder what kind of care and craftsmanship goes into the making of your favorite camera? Is there a Cambo camera you have had your eye on but just haven’t had the chance to get it in your hands yet? Would you like to find out for yourself? Well then… this is the tour for you! Enjoy five nights and four days in the Netherlands filled with multi-city tours, amazing shooting locations and an exclusive Cambo Headquarters & Factory tour. Oh… and you will get to join in with the natives countrywide King’s Day celebrations!
Private Factory Tour
Cambo USA is hosting a private tour to the Netherlands this coming Spring that is sure to WOW every Cambo camera lover. This five day tour will begin with an exclusive invitation only factory tour in Kampen with Cambo’s key executives and engineers.
Try Out The Gear of Your Dreams
After you see what goes into each Cambo camera, it’s time to borrow the kit you have had your eyes on. For two whole days Cambo is loaning a special kit to every participant! Like what you tried? Take it home at the end of the trip with a special PRIVATE discount.
Stunning Shooting Locations
Have you heard about the beautiful tulips that are in full bloom during springtime in Amsterdam? Get prepared because you will have the chance to experience this in person…CAMBO STYLE! We will spend four days shooting gorgeous sites in Kampen, Urk and Amsterdam! We are pleased to have the talented Pim Van der Maden as our guest photographer and tour guide.
Kings Day Weekend
To add to your once in a lifetime experience… we are planing this entire trip around Kings Day Weekend! On King’s Day you will be free to celebrate how ever you wish! That’s right.. we’ve decided to clear the schedule so that you will have the ability to go out and join in all of the city’s festivities.
Kampen (King’s Day Festivities):
- Koningsdag in Kampen (Music, Parades, and Street Markets)
- Visit the Medieval city of Zwolle (10 Minutes by Train)
- Enjoy a performance from the National male choir D.E.V. in Kampen Cathedral
- Walk around Kampen and celebrate with the locals Kampen Residents
- Anne Frank Museum (Must Get Tickets Early)
- Van Gogh Museum (Explore & Purchase Tickets)
- Canal Tour by Boat (View Tour Options)
Guest Photographer Pim van der Maden
Full-time professional photographer since 1988 Pim specializes in floral photography, landscapes and people. Pim is a well-known name to many international top florists, flower publications, books, brochures, and websites. Pim will be your guide through the Tulips, the Dutch Countryside, and the Seaside Village of Urk. Learn more about Pim, and see more of his work by visiting his website (Website in Dutch).
- Private Shuttle Transportation will be provided from the airport to the hotel in Kampen, to and from the scheduled shooting locations and to the hotel in Amsterdam on the final day. You will be responsible for your transportation on free days and on your departing flight from Amsterdam.
- Hotel Accommodations four nights will be spent in Kampen at Hotel Van Dijk and one night in Amsterdam at Hotel Vondel.
- Cambo Factory & Headquarters Tour Get answers directly from Cambo’s developers, give your thoughts on what new and exciting products you think should come next, and get to see where the best camera equipment in the world is born!
- Private “try before you buy” Cambo Demo Equipment try out the latest Cambo equipment that you have had your eyes on. and take home the equipment of your dreams with special event only pricing.
- Guided Sunrise & Sunset Shooting Tour capture the beautiful scenery of Kampen on one day followed by a Tulip driving tour on the following day using Cambo equipment.
- Konigsdag “Kings Day” Party celebrate with the locals at a nation-wide party.
- Cambo Limited Edition souvenir jacket.
- Wednesday Welcome Dinner at De Stadsherberg in Kampen.
- Thursday Lunch at Cambo Headquarters during the Factory Tour.
- Thursday Dinner at the Peppermill Restaurant in Kampen.
- Friday Lunch on the road to Amsterdam day of the Tulip Driving Tour.
- Sunday Farewell Dinner at Hotel Vondel.
Wednesday, April 24th – Arrival Day
- 12Noon – Shuttle pick-up from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (AMS)
- 1:30pm – Check- In to Hotel Van Dijk
- After Check-in explore Kampen until dinner
- 6:30pm – Meet in hotel lobby for dinner
- 7:00pm – Cambo welcome dinner at De Stadsherberg
Thursday, April 25th – Factory Tour & Gear Day
- 07:30am – Breakfast at Hotel
- 09:00am – Leave Hotel for Cambo Factory
- 09:30am – Arrival to Cambo Factory
- 10:00am – Cambo Factory Tour
- 12:30pm – Lunch at the Factory
- 01:30pm – Gear Hand Out and User Agreement
- 02:00pm – Gear Education Bootcamp
- 04:00pm – Tour of Old Town Kampen + Shooting
- 07:00pm – Dinner at “The Peppermill” in Kampen
Friday, April 26th – City Tour and Urk Shooting Day
- 05:00am – Meet in Hotel Lobby for Sunrise Shooting
- 08:00am – Return and Have Breakfast at the Hotel
- 09:30am – Tulips Driving and the Town of Urk Tour
- 12:00pm – Lunch on the Road in Urk
- 01:00pm – Visit the Reclaimed Area in Urk
- 06:30pm – Return to Hotel (Dinner On Your Own)
Saturday, April 27th – King’s Day and Free Day
- 05:00am – Meet in Lobby for Sunrise Shooting Tour
- 08:30pm – Return and Have Breakfast at Hotel
- Enjoy Your Day: King’s Day Celebration Festivites
Sunday, April 28th – Voyage To Amsterdam
- 06:00am – Gear Return in Hotel Lobby
- 07:00am – Breakfast at Hotel
- 08:00am – Check Out of Hotel Van Dijk
- 08:30am – Drive to Amsterdam
- 09:00am – Shooting Pit Stop in route to Amsterdam
- 12:30pm – Lunch on Your Own
- 01:30pm – Shooting Pit Stop in route to to Amsterdam
- 03:00pm – Hotel Check In at Hotel Vondel
- 03:30pm – Explore the City at Your Leisure
- 07:00pm – Farewell Dinner at Hotel
Monday, April 29th – Departure Day
- Remember to arrange transportation to the airport for your departing flight.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is airfare included?
Airfare is not included with your workshop registration.
Is lodging included?
Yes, for more information please contact Kate Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org.
april 24 (Wednesday) - 29 (Monday)
Claim your spot
Cambo Chasing Tulips Tour - One Seat Ticket
Digital Transitions is partnering with Camera Voyages to provide an immersive and interactive workshop in picturesque Cuba. Just 90 miles away from the continental US,
Digital Transitions is partnering with Camera Voyages to provide an immersive and interactive workshop in picturesque Cuba.
Just 90 miles away from the continental US, Cuba is an amazing place with a rich and interesting culture to explore. Camera Voyages has been traveling to Cuba since 2013, and has deep connections to the communities as well as the art and music scenes.
This immersive and interactive workshop will truly be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for you to capture the essence and beauty of the Cuban culture through the lens of the latest Phase One Medium Format camera systems. This workshop is not like many of the regular workshop/tours that are out there – not only do we provide high-end gear and training for the attendees, but Camera Voyages’ impeccable reputation and experience in Cuban travel and photography enables us to provide access to places not normally available to regular tours.
The workshop is led by William Vazquez of Camera Voyages, Lance Schad of Digital Transitions, and Scott Neidermier of Phase One. During the trip you will spend time in Havana shooting its wonderful architecture and people, as well as other unique subjects such as flamenco dancers, boxers training in open-air gyms, and fishermen along the Malecón to name a few. You will also travel outside Havana on an overnight road trip to experience the beautiful city of Trinidad. Along the way we will visit Cuba’s verdant farmlands to meet and photograph the daily lives of the people that work and live there. Review the full itinerary here.
As many of you are aware, Cuba is receiving a great deal of attention since the United States eased travel restrictions and reopened diplomatic relations there. With this in mind, now is the perfect time to join us and experience this beautiful country and its people before that changes.
What Gear will we be bringing along?
We will have a number of latest Phase One XF Bodies and IQ4 digital backs, as well as a selection of Phase One Schneider Kreuznach LS lenses. We will also be bringing along technical camera solutions from Arca-Swiss & Cambo. This equipment will be available for all the attendees to reserve and share during the trip.
What if I do not want to share a Phase One System during the workshop?
If you do not share well with others, ask us about how you can reserve your own system for the workshop, or about our special packages to purchase a system prior to workshop.
What skill level should I be to attend this workshop?
This workshop is for designed those with more than a basic understanding of photography. We will spend time before and during the workshop familiarizing you with the Phase One and technical camera systems we will be bringing along. Also, each day prior to going out in the field we hold a briefing where we will provide tips to capture the best possible images.
What if I would like to bring a companion who is not a Photographer?
You are more then welcome to bring a companion (someone needs to carry the gear ;)). Please contact us for more details.
may 11 (Saturday) - 18 (Saturday)